A bio-medical approach to treating autism focuses on the potential biological roots of autism, such as heavy metal toxicity or yeast overgrowth, or certain difficulties related to food processing. Many physicians believe that problems with the immune, digestive, or endocrine systems are linked to autism symptoms. This method seeks to target these biological processes in individuals’ medical care.
Medical Treatments for Individuals with autism
A biomedically-oriented approach to autism necessitates conducting various medical assessments on the child or individual. Many diagnostic exams can be administered with a blood sample or the patient’s excretion; thus, tests may typically be accomplished during one appointment or at regular intervals in the person’s life.
Types of Tests:
- A tilt table test may be performed to check for gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- A blood sample might be collected to determine if the child has heavy metal poisoning or a nutritional deficiency.
- Urine testing may be performed to check the child’s metabolic function.
- Testing for oxalates, which are fungi found in certain medications used to treat common bacterial infections, may also be performed.
- Microbial testing from a stool sample, nasal swab, or saliva sample may also be collected and analyzed, in order to determine if the child has a buildup of yeast or bacteria in the digestive or nasopharyngeal tract.
Bio-medical treatment addressing gastrointestinal issues, nutrition imbalances, immune system irregularities, or detoxification concerns might help to reduce the need for powerful psychiatric medications in autism care. Each plan is tailored to the individual.
Naturopathic Therapies for autism
Natural treatments for autism are great complementary treatments that work well in conjunction with other therapies and services. For example, some parents find that eliminating foods with artificial food coloring lessens symptoms. Others have had success with eliminating foods that contain gluten, casein, or processed sugar. The addition of vitamins such as B12 or nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids has also helped with the autism symptoms of some children. The parents or caregivers will be the ones who will help drive this time of strict regimen.
Benefits of a bio-medical diet
- gastrointestinal benefits (decreased constipation, diarrhea, and cravings)
- immunological benefits (decreased allergies, migraines, or abnormal infectious disease reactions)
- neurological benefits (positive alteration to sensory impressions)
It is hard to specify precisely how successful the bio-medical way of handling autism has been. At this moment, there is insubstantial proof regarding its efficacy. Since various symptoms of autism are not precise, it can be difficult to assess if bio-medical techniques and modalities are responsible for patient advancement entirely. Nonetheless, evaluating a medical approach to autism is something families must consider beforehand employing psychiatric drugs to control autism signs. This therapy plan might also be significant for autistic patients who cannot take pharmaceuticals or have swallowing disorders that stop them from ingesting the medicine. Evidently, grasping the bio-medical method to autism gives parents and caretakers more alternatives for granting their child with the finest support, attention, and possibility.
Autism Feeding Issues
Foods to avoid with autism